He asked me the other day what I thought the top five “advantage makers” were. Here’s what I said:
1. Cultural fluency: understand how to get the right things done “here.”
2. Pattern recognition: see the trajectory of the ball before others see the ball.
3. See the tree for the forest: know the one thing that needs doing, not all the things that need doing.
4. Mastery of metaphors: also known as compelling storytelling.
5. Hiding in plain sight: how to be a leader and a force without being perceived as a threat.
How would you grade yourself on these five advantages? Which are your strong points and which are your blindspots?
I don’t know if you agree or not, but feel free to add your thoughts. What are the key advantage makers in your experience?
PS: Steve works with corporate clients to help them optimize their organizational effectiveness, particularly at the executive level. His website is here.